Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Another National Championship

Last Sunday, I tried again to qualify for the national championship at glorieta 5. I brought the Jund Build my friend recommended, having 27 lands, 3 bituminous blast and no dragons. here's my tournament report:

round 1: Vs Mythic Conscription

He mulled to six in our first match. at first i thought he was playing Next level bant so i just played thrinax, leech and bloodbraid elf. on game 2, i boarded in all of my removal spells and boarded out my thrinax and blightning. no creature lived on the opposite side of the board.

1-0














Round 2: Mythic Conscription again...

This time, i had the first blood of the day. it was a quick combo by turn 5 which i conceded fast to proceed to sideboard. after boarding, i made short work of her creatures while beating with bloodbraid elf.
game three end quickly as she mulled down to 5 cards and has only 2 land drops.

2-0










Round 3: still Mythic Conscription?


Well, nothing to tell here. It has the same result as my last round. the only difference is he played Baneslayer angel and I ripped a terminate on the top of the library in the nick of time. very close fight.











3-0

Round 4: RG Beats

On the first few turns, I thought i was playing with Jund mirror. But after seeing a birds of paradise, I had the wrong information. I was at twelve life when he suddenly hits me with overrun, dealing 13 damage( thanks to 2 life @ putrid leech ). after seeing vengevine, I boarded out 4 copies of blightning and replaced them with 4 duress. bad choice for me as later he revealed he boarded out his overruns and replaced them with goblin ruin blasters. As a cascaded a Duress again on my bloodbraid elf, i suffured my first lost of the day...









3-1

Round 5: RDW


My first bad match-up. My opponent's build is Devastating summons/ Goblin bushwacker. its a little bit inconsistent than the all haste build. I beat him miraculously in game one as he was overwhelmed by thrinax and bloodbraids.

Sideboard:
+4 duress
+3 doomblade

-4 blightning
-2 sharkhan the mad
-1 siegegang commander

This game wasn't in my favor as my only creature was a lone putrid leech while on the other side of the board was a plated geopede and a kiln fiend. I conceded to a lock down of a manabarbs on 10 life... very critical life point on red. On the Deciding match. he mulled down to 5 which kept my hopes up as my openning hand was duress, lightning bolt, putrid leech, savage lands, verdant catacombs, forest, mountain. turn 3 i duress him to pick up a lightning bolt(drawing another duress on turn 2). it was an easy match as he lacks the number of cards to deal decent damage to me.

4-1

Round 6: Blue White control

my opponent on round 6 was joseph basilio, one of the veterans here in the philippine MTG community. I was a little bit worried on game 1 because of my past UW match ups which mostly loses. Lucky for me, He mulled to six cards and was on the play. Time to capitalize! I had an early drop of leech and thrinax which added pressure plus a well timed blightning hitselspeth which made quick work on him.

Sideboard
-4 lightning bolt
-4 sprouting thrinax
-2 terminate
-3 bituminous blast
+4 duress
+4 Goblin Ruin blaster
+3 doomblade
+2 malakir bloodwitch

Game 2, His openning 7 was good. after turn 3, he missed his 4th land drop which i capitalized playing aggressive bloodbraids and ruin blaster. I got lucky to cascade another ruin blaster which made quick work. whooo!!!

5-1

Round 7: Next Level Bant



Not the match-up you wanted when carrying a jund deck, vengevines gives you a lot of headache. I played an aggressive start with a leech and a thrinax, bashing through walls and pumping it. on my 5th turn, still I played blightning... guess what hits the graveyard... a pair of vengevine. Luckily, vengevine never saw the light of two creatures as I hit lethal damage after targeting two wall of omens with a maelstrom pulse. that was a close game!

sideboard
-4 blightning
+2 doomblade
+2 jund charm

Game 2, as i remembered, was very very close match. We where trading combats with Rox War monk and putrid leech. I was at 1 life when i recovered with Dragon tokens thanks to sarkhan the mad. I almost cost the game when i made an error attacking my dragon tokens. luckily, i cascaded a removal on the bituminous blast, killing the war monk with a +3/+3 flying because of Elspeth.

Round 8: Mythic Conscription Still!!!!

this round, we both agreed to intentionally draw to guarantee a spot in the Top 8 play-offs. As we take a brake, Earl told me to revise my plan when facing a mythic conscription. here is the plan:
-4 putrid leech
-3 sprouting thrinax
+3 doomblade
+2 jund charm
+2 malakir bloodwitch

This makes almost all cascade spells have an instant removal card( except blightning which kills the spell from the hand ). I had two possible opponents,RDW or Mythic Conscription. RDW spells defeat, Win if mythic. Its all up to the results after round 8. here's the Top 8 line up.


My opponent in the top 8 is Mythic Conscription.


Game 1:


My opponent kept his opening 7 cards while i mulled to 6 cards. having only two lands in hand, a swamp, dragon skull summit, terminate, leech and a bolt, i kept my hand. I never drew another land card till my opponent killed me with the combo... despite of the lose, i was confident on my deck post sideboard match-up.

Game 2:

I kept my opening 7 cards while he mulled to 6 cards. my deck was running smoothly as I played removal cards constantly on every creature he controlled. Finally he ran out of creatures giving me the signal to cast my siegegangs and sarkhan the mad.

Game 3:


We both kept our opening 7 cards. my opening was 3 lands and all removal, from lightning bolt to maelstrom pulse. After killing all of his creatures including a baneslayer succumbing to a bituminous blast and a lightning bolt, malakir bloodwitch made short work of his life total. I'm back in the national Championship!!

here's my decklist:

Jose Marie Sabale
Winner - Jund
Maindeck
Lands:
3 Forest
3 Mountain
3 Swamp
4 Savage Lands
4 Raging Ravine
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Rootbound Crag
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Lavaclaw Reaches
---
27 Lands Creatures:
4 Putrid Leech
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Sprouting Thrinax
3 Siege-Gang Commander
---
15 Creatures

Other Spells:
4 Blightning
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Bituminous Blast
3 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Terminate
2 Sarkhan the Mad
---
18 Other Spells

Sideboard
2 Malakir Bloodwitch
2 Jund Charm
3 Doom Blade
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
4 Duress
---
15 Sideboard Cards

0 comments: