Saturday, June 26, 2010

Jund for national qualifiers

a few hours from now, again.. i will try to qualify for the national championships. after losing in the top on a Jund mirror match-up, I've learned my lesson. I'm going to try this build recommended by my friend.


4 putrid leech
4 blood braid elf
4 sprouting thrinax
4 blightning
4 lightning bolt
3 maelstorm pulse
3 bituminous blast
3 seigegang commander
2 sarkhan the mad
2 tearminate

4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Savage Lands
4 Raging Ravine
3 Rootbound Crag
2 Dragonskull Summit
1 Lavaclaw Reaches
4 Forest
2 Mountain
3 Swamp

sideboard

2 Malakir Bloodwitch
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
4 duress
3 Doom Blade
2 Jund Charm

the original build of the deck has 2 rampant growth and 26 lands. after losing to jund mirror, we replaced the rampant growth with an addtional forest plus 2 bituminous blast, cut with the seigegang commander.

i tried this build last FNM tourney. here is my match-up report.

round 1: mono black control


after casting a putrid leech on turn two, he cast a wretched banquet, giving me a hint it was MBC. after a couple of blood braid elf and blightning, he lost to the thrinax tokens.

game 2 sideboards:

-4 lightning bolt
+4 duress

game 2 started with 1st turn duress, dropping mind sludge from a couple of removal spells and a planeswalker. turn 3 thrinax hits the board and dies to tendrils of agony. he casted the Ves then tutored for a card. hinting it was mind sludge. 5th turn I attacked the planeswalker, killing it, then passed a turn. he sludged me keeping my bituminous blast. He cast a gatekeeper, dealing bituminous to bloodbraid to thrinax. good game!

1 - 0

game 2

vampires: old bud RJ payad! nothing trilling here, after a few thrinax, it made short work of the undead.


game sideboard:

-2 sharkhan the mad
+2 jund charm

almost all of the vampire creatures dies to 2 damage except 3 kinds(bloodwitch, nighthawk and nocturnous). lucky for me, i didn't see any of these in game 2 as i made a SB error, not removing the blightning. after casting jund charm, killing all of his men, thrinax made short work of him. go thrinax!!

2 - 0

round 3

Naya Allies:

This round, my opponent is Jonee Tolentino and his Naya Allies. tough game 1 for me as I lost early to a perfect curve. damn so good in playing allies ( and i drew a blightning... errr...)

Sideboard:
-4 blightning
-4 thrinax
-1 terminate

+4 ruinblaster
+3 doomblade
+2 malakir bloodwitch

game 2 was bad for him as he mulled once and every creature met a removal spell. blood braid and leech does their job! game 3 was even more bad for him as he mulled down to 5 cards. his 1st turn was zigurat and a hada free blade. turn 2 was another freeblade while for me was a leech. it hold the attack of the two creatures as he passed a turn without a land drop. turn 3 , i pulsed the freebalde a swung for 4 damage, 4th turn was bloodbraid and another leech. all was history.

3 - 0

round 4: Monowhite tokens

May last opponent was fox. his first few turns was sky fisher, wall of omens and a blademaster. for me, almost all of my creature got pathed, i was down to 6 life when I drew a blast which cascaded to bloodbraid and i pulse. lucky for me i recovered and won that game.



Sideboard:
-4 thrinax
-3 blightning
+3 doomblade
+2 bloodwitch
+2 Jund charm

Turn 1 for him was a lynx. after that another lynx. after that... that was all. bad play for fox, he played an empty hand which jund takes advantage of. i noted that i should remove the remaining blightning for a least a ruinbalster for his emeria, sky ruin.

4 - 0

after the FNM, i hoped that i get to play againts jund mirror to hone my skills.the new build runs great as i'm not afraid to cascade into a rampant growth and having 3 bituminous blast comes handy when low on gas spells. Good luck to me later as I embark again a national qualifier to earn the crown back to the south. how i wish to be there in the championship and to be a member of the national team in japan. GO ACE PLAYER JUND!!!!

0 comments: